Monday, July 26, 2010

Max Moves = NO MAXIMUM. HURRAY!


In the past 2 seasons I've set the maximum number of moves to 10. Meaning that dropping and replacing a player on your roster would count as 1 move against your 10. The spirit of this setting was to prevent team owners from making too many rapid impulse moves. Team owners who do this are also known as free agent vultures. With the limit in place team owners would have to consider how the move would effect their team for the long term. Thus putting more thought into making moves.

It just wasn't popular. It made dealing with bye weeks and injuries too difficult for some team owners. The limit of 10 resulted in many teams needing just 1 more move at the end of the season but they were all tapped out. As commissioner I could not help but feel a little guilt over this.

The experiment I had in last year's league helped me realize a good alternative to setting max moves. When 2 of the team owners quit in the beginning of the year I came up with a plan to divide up the players on those teams. I set weekly waiver from Sun-Tue and gave everyone 200 pts in a free waiver acquisition budget. Then I dumped all the players from the 2 forfeited teams. This allowed everyone a few days to make bids on the players they wanted. It worked out pretty well. Hmmmmm.

This year I happy to say, "max moves are set to NO MAXIMUM." Instead I've set free agents to go on waivers every week from Sun-Tue. And everyone gets 1000 pts in their free waiver budgets. Hows that?

I believe this change will not only make everyone happy but it will also add another cool element to the league, the free waiver budgeting. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment